A Guide to Business Underwriting on Public Radio
As a public radio station, KMHA is not allowed to air advertisements such as a commercial radio station can broadcast. However, KMHA is allowed to receive underwriting funds from businesses to help defray programming costs, and allowed to make brief on-air announcements recognizing that support. Underwriting provides businesses a cost-effective opportunity to support KMHA and to reach potential customers at the same time. And the underwriting options are virtually limitless: your business can choose to support a particular program, a particular time period or have your announcement air on a rotating basis throughout KMHA’s broadcast day.
- Underwriting reaches your company’s Market.
- Your on-air message is heard by a large and loyal group of listeners
- Underwriting can target your company’s market.
- Your business can be identified with a specific program at a specific time.
- Underwriting is excellent public relations.
- Your company promotes a positive image as a generous, community-minded business.
- Underwriting serves your community.
- Your business is helping provide quality programming to an appreciative audience.
- Underwriting on KMHA is tax-deductible.
- Unlike advertising, underwriting can be considered a charitable contribution.
Announcements May Include:
- The name of your business or organization
- The location of your business
- The phone number of your business
- Your business hours
- A listing of general products and services
- Value-neutral descriptions of products
- Slogans that identify but do not promote
- Announcements Cannot Include:
- Prices or interest rate information
- Indications of savings or special value
- A call to take specific action
- Qualitative or comparative language
- Inducements to buy, rent or lease
- Inducements to utilize a service
Underwriting is a cost-effective tool to reach your customers in a manner that creates real identification!
KMHA is organized as a 501 c (3) non-profit organization. Underwriting announcements must follow FCC regulations. Announcements can “identify” but not “promote” your business and services. We think you’ll find underwriting of KMHA programming is good business. Underwriting complements your advertising campaigns; enhances your public relations efforts; promotes a positive business image; and as an added benefit, it’s tax-deductible.
As a KMHA underwriter, your business will also be in good company, joining many other community-minded businesses and organizations in supporting this non-profit, commercial-free public broadcasting service. To find out more about the many advantages of business underwriting, contact our Underwriting Department at (701) 627-5362.